Usually, when you travel, airplanes let you take with yourself a 23kg suitcase, a carry-on and a backpack. If you are an international student who is moving abroad and has no idea when they are coming back to their home country, this is probably not enough space. This was my case, and yes, I ended up paying for an extra 23kg suitcase.

My first tip for packing up your life into a suitcase (or two) is, don’t actually pack your whole life into a suitcase. You have to be mindful about what you pack, because everything ends up adding up weight. Don’t make the same mistake I did and bring every t-shirt and shoe that you own, because you won’t wear everything and you will end up buying clothes wherever you go.

My second tip is to have all your documents and important things such as wallet, passport, phone, laptop, charger, etc. in a bag or backpack that you can carry everywhere. Also, (please) pack a pair of clean clothes in this backpack. You never know if your airline will end up losing your suitcases and you will be stranded wearing the same pair of clothes from two days ago. Protip: keep a copy of your important documents in each suitcase or bag, and have the same documents scanned in your phone, just in case.

My last tip is to bring a piece of home with you. Whether it is a collection of photos of your family or a sweater that reminds you of your country. Having something like this wherever you go gives you strength to follow through with this huge adventure ahead of you. Best of luck!

P.D.: Watch many packing videos on YouTube and buy organizing blocks, you will thank me later.