Informative Story with Photos

1 – Goal: The goal of this story is to share a female international’s student experience traveling from her home country to Canada.

2 – Audience: The target audience is young female students who are about to study abroad or travel internationally. However, I hope it also reaches people who are interested in traveling. With this story I plan to share how it’s like to travel as a young female traveler, so I hope various people from different backgrounds can learn from this story.

3 – Core Information: Traveling as a young woman is a challenging story. In the past years solo female traveling has increased. Nancy is a young student who traveled from Mexico to Canada to pursue higher education at TRU.

4 – Detailed outline (each paragraph must have a main topic/information):

1. Title: From Mexico to Canada: A Female International Student’s Experience
  2. Introduction: introduce the interviewee’s information (name, age, program of study, etc.) Place and date of departure. Nancy Zamarrón Cantú leaves her home at Monterrey, México on August 13, 2021.
  3. 1st paragraph: Rising action. Saying goodbye to her family.
  4. 2nd paragraph: Boarding the plane to Vancouver.
  5. 3rd paragraph: Arriving at the Vancouver Airport.
  6. 4th paragraph: First challenge. Losing her bags and getting her flight to Kamloops cancelled.
  7. 5th paragraph: Looking for a solution. Booking a hotel for the night with the help of her parents and her traveler’s insurance and trying to keep the situation under control.
  8. 6th paragraph: Second challenge. The flight would be cancelled for three days. Looking for a solution and making the most out of her situation.Explanation of safety measures during her visit.
  9. 7th paragraph: Climax (Resolution). Nancy arrives in Kamloops and makes it safely to her dorm room at TRU.
  10. Conclusion: Falling action. Nancy’s opinion on solo female traveling and its future.
  11. Where are photos going to be placed? I’m planning on posting five photos in the article. The first one will be a feature picture at the beginning of the article of Nancy at the Airport. The second picture is Nancy’s portrait which will be placed after the introduction, to give a face to the protagonist of the story. The third picture will be placed between the fourth and the fifth paragraph, showing her struggle after the first challenge. The fourth picture will be placed after the sixth paragraph, showing Nancy talking to her family on the phone. Finally, the fifth picture (put before the last paragraph) will show Nancy outside the Airport signaling her arrival and the conclusion of the story.

Audio Interview

1 – Goal: The goal of this episode is to share the experience of expert female traveler Dr. Kathleen Scherf, Professor of Communications at Thompson Rivers University. In this episode, we will discuss aspects from her career, tips she picked up from her trips, and her opinion on the state of solo female traveling.

2 – Audience: The audience targeted for this episode is mostly amateur solo female travelers since Dr. Kathleen shares her tips and experience.

3 – Core Information:
Dr. Kathleen Scherf is a Professor of Communications at Thompson Rivers University. She’s been traveling on her own since she was ten years old. Some of her research interests include Cultural Tourism and creative Tourism. In this episode, Dr. Kathleen shares the tips she’s picked up from her trips over the years.

4 – Detailed outline (detail here all the parts that you’re going to include in your audio piece, like Narrated intro, sound effects, interviews, etc..)

1. Introduction to the show, presenting Dr. Kathleen Scherf.
  2. Background music begins playing.
  3. Discussing the importance of solo travel in her life: how she includes it in her teaching.
  4. Dr. Kathleen’s research interests: Cultural Tourism and Creative Tourism
  5. Dr. Kathleen’s first journey at ten years old.
  6. A quick outline of her trips around the world.
  7. Her career at the University of Calgary and international trips.
  8. Her career at Thompson Rivers University
  9. Dr. Kathleen’s current work and future career and travel plans.
  10. Most memorable journeys.
  11. Background music changes.
  12. How Dr. Kathleen prepares for trips (agenda, safety)
  13. The meaning of solo female traveling for Dr. Kathleen.
  14. Her opinion of the current state of female traveling.
  15. Tips for beginner female travelers.
  16. Her hopes for the future of female traveling.
  17. Outro.
  18. Background music changes.

Questions

“So, Dr. K, for how long have you been traveling?”

“I’ve seen that one of your research interests is Creative Tourism and Cultural Tourism… could you explain what is it about?”

“How old were you when you traveled alone for the first time?”

“Would you consider that to be your most memorable trip? (If not, which one)”

“Which have been your favorite places to visit?”

“How do you prepare yourself for new trips?”

“What do you look for when you’re searching for new places to visit?”

“What kind of precautions or safety measures do you take before embarking on a new journey?”

“What are your thoughts on the state of solo female traveling right now?”

“Do you think that the dangers that female travelers go through is talked about enough?”

“What would you say to future solo female travelers?”

“What do you hope for the future of female traveling?”

Video

1 – Goal: My goal for the video is to show one of Leisure Exploration Activity Program (LEAP) activities while asking the participants about their traveling experience. For this video I will join LEAP to see BC’s Famous Sockeye Salmon Run in the Adams River located near Tsútswecw Park.

2 – Audience: My target audience will mainly be students from TRU since they get to see what it’s like to join LEAP on one of their activities.

3 – Core Information: TRU’s Leisure Exploration Activity Program (LEAP) organizes activities for students with the main goal of creating a bridge between international and Canadian students. During this activity LEAP takes us to the Tsútswecw Park to see BC’s Famous Sockeye Salmon Run in the Adams River.

4 – Detailed information (time log):

00:00-00:20: Introduction to LEAP and the activity.

00:20-00:43: Information about Tsútswecw Park

00:43-01:18: Information about the Sockeye Salmon Run

01:18-01:53: Interview with artist Cathy Olszewski

01:53-02:15: Transition of subject to solo travelers

02:15-02:51: Interview with guide Brenda Melnychuk

02:51-03:51: Transition and interview with LEAP coordinator Norah Vander Haas

03:51-04:10: Final thoughts and opinions of fellow students

04:10-04:19: Outro

Blog Posts

Post 1

Title: Safety, Precautions and Travel

Goal: give tips to women who are going to start new trips, before and during their stay. 

Information: I’ll use part of my experience while traveling, I will also interview a few female international students and teachers and ask them about their experience.

Post 2

Title: Travel: The Male Experience vs The Female Experience

Goal: to share the differences between the male experience and the female experience 

Information: I want to do a focus group where I’ll interview two international students and compare their experiences. 

Post 3

Title: Putting your life in a suitcase: Packing for Studying Abroad

Goal: give tips to students who are about to study abroad on how to pack the best way before they move to another country to study. 

Information: I will mainly use my experience, explaining what I wish I would’ve packed and what I shouldn’t have.