No matter where you are or where you are going, safety should always be a priority. Mostly if you are a woman who is traveling alone to a place you have never visited before. Traveling by yourself is one of the best ways to gain independence and get to know yourself better, and you deserve to be completely safe while doing so, here are some tips for that!

1. Make sure that there is always someone who knows where you are. This is particularly important if you have stops in-between flights. While traveling from Bolivia to Canada, I would connect my phone to the wifi of a restaurant or a shop and tell my dad about my landings and other flight details. For this tip, it’s also very important to have a charger with you or a power-bank so you don’t run out of battery.
  2. Be aware of your surroundings at all times. Maybe don’t have your earphones blasting music at full volume. Try to be present and look over yourself and your belongings.
  3. Trust your gut. Something I have learned through the years is that your body will notice something is off before your mind does. If something doesn’t feel right to you, walk away. Try to be close to a big group of people, and if you need help, don’t hesitate to ask for it.
  4. “Be weird. Be rude. Stay alive.” I took this tip from the podcast Crime Junkie, hosted by Ashley Flowers and Brittany Prawat. This means that you shouldn’t be afraid of being rude to someone if they are making you uncomfortable. Don’t be afraid to yell or make a scene, your wellbeing comes first always!
  5. Don’t give away personal information to strangers! Stranger danger is something we should always take into consideration. Also, have you watched Taken? If not, please do.
  6. Get traveler’s insurance. My friend Nancy was stuck in Vancouver for half a week and her traveler’s insurance helped her pay for hotel accommodations. In case of an accident, a traveler’s insurance can also cover that and other options depending on what plan you choose.
  7. Before you travel, do your research. Even if you are going on a spontaneous backpacking trip through Europe, you should have an idea of where you’re going, where you’ll be staying, what documents you need… think of everything to avoid difficult situations.
  8. Keep your important belongings with you or in a safe space. If you’re traveling, keep your important stuff such as documents, money, passport, phone, etc. in a backpack you can carry everywhere and is of easy access. Keep copies of your documents and your passport as well. You know, just in case. If you are already at your hotel or your place of arrival, design a safe space for your belongings. Some hotels have a safe in the room, but if it doesn’t you can always put your stuff in a bag, put a lock in it, and hide it in a place that doesn’t look too suspicious.

My final tip is a little side-tracked, but I think it’s the most important one. Don’t let fear prevent you from doing what you want. Be prepared, trust your gut and have fun. Always.